Yes, I did it. I made one of those Instagram e-courses.I know everybody is talking about the VERO app and yes I signed up to – you can follow me at Lea H, but I am not ready to dismiss Instagram yet. So in this post we gonna focus on that right?!? Well, a few month back I took part in one of those Instagram e-courses and I am gonna lay it all out for you: How I found it, did it help and if I learned anything new.
It is a lot of money, £ 90 to be precise and I did a lot of thinking but I had some money set aside. And just so you don’t have to go into the unknown, I am gonna help you decide if you should take the risk or not. So let’s get right into it.
Gloom & Glow
If I was gonna invest in an e-course than it was gonna be in one from Sara Tasker (meandorla.co.uk). I only heard good things and as she is the queen of Insta – it was just a no-brainer. She has a few Instagram e-courses and I went with Gloom & Glow as it was a new launch at the beginning of the winter season. You can read everything about the course here.
I loved how it all sounded and I was genuinely looking forward to getting all into it. The set up of the course was really easy to get around and I loved how you could tick off each challenge and chapter.
Instagram e-courses: the good and the bad
I can only talk about my experience with the particular e-course I took. But I like to think that some things might be similar to others. So let’s start with the good things.
- exploring new grounds: this online course took me out my comfort zone. I was stuck in a rut with my Instagram and with having to take challenges where you had to capture certain moods or themes, I started posting different pictures to my feed and it felt quite nice. And with that, I also started playing around again with more of my camera settings etc. Sara also had some great tips for capturing difficult “subjects” such as snow, candlelight or else.
- You get free access to the course information for a year. So you can actually do the whole course at your pace. Or whenever you wanna re-read something you can just log in to your account.
- You actually learn something: I learned a few new things photography wise. Things I wouldn’t have thought of and some things regarding Instagram engagement. Little things which help me connect with my audience a little bit better. But mostly how to be able to capture a mood in pictures.
- feeling left-out: with the course we had a chat group on Slack, where you post your progress, questions, interact/ chat with other etc. But I hardly used it. I thought it would be quite nice to get to know people but hardly anyone responded to my comments and I felt like the persons that already knew each other from a previous course or from Insta didn’t care too much to chat to others. (Don’t know if I was the only one who felt this way but I thought it was worth mentioning). I did make one or two great connections – not that no-one chatted to me but from the majority, there was no response.
- lacking support: one thing I loved doing was going through the hashtag we all posted our pictures under #gloomandglow and leaving a like. Sara suggested to do this and I loved the way she wanted to get the community together and show each other some support. Just like with the chat group I hardly got anything back.
Will I do another Instagram e-course?
Well that’s the burning question, isn’t it? Now I liked how I discovered some new ways of taking pictures and capturing a moment. However, I found out that it isn’t for me. Just like what I got out of the money I invested in – I think it wasn’t quite that worth it. I mean the course itself is brilliant but with how I felt within the whole group etc. it has just a bitter aftertaste. Up until then I always found the blogging community was such a supportive bunch (it still is!) but for me, the Instagram community wasn’t.
So should you take one of those Instagram e-courses? I couldn’t tell you. Each has to decide for themselves. You have now read how the whole online course worked for me and I know I won’t take one again, well an Instagram e-course anyways. It does have it good and bads and it may as well work for others but not for me. And just so you know, I didn’t gain a lot of followers on Insta due to this course. I never went in it to gain tonnes of followers but I hoped it would help my Insta.
Let me know in the comments down below if you ever have done an Instagram e-course or if you wanna do one. Maybe you were on the same course as I?
Until next time,