For special occasions you need a special cake! It was my friends birthday this week and I surprised her with a rainbow cake. On the inside there was a lovely vanilla sponge layered up with cream icing and raspberries.
To make the vanilla sponge you need:
500 g unsalted butter (softened), 500 g caster sugar, 6 free range eggs,
500 g self-raising flour, 6 tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix the ingredients in stages together until you have a smooth and airy mixture. Then fill the vanilla sponge mixture into 5 greased and floured round tins. Put them in the preheated often (170° C) for about 20 min.
Whilst the cake is in the oven we can prepare the icing. You need:
250 g soft unsalted butter, 50 g cream cheese, 1 tbsp nature yoghurt,
700 g sifted icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, food colouring,
(and some raspberries for the filling)
Mix all the ingredients except the icing sugar together until the mixture is white. Then add the icing sugar in two stages. After everything is nicely combined whisk the icing for another 5 min.
Now on to assembling the cake:
- Take the vanilla sponge out of the tins. Cut all the crust from the top and the edges from the cakes. This way you’ll be left with just the nice bright sponge. Take a cake board, place a little icing in the middle and stick the first vanilla sponge onto it.
- Now with some more icing cover the top of the sponge and add some raspberries. Then place the second sponge on top and keep filling the in-between with the icing and raspberries.
- Once all the five sponges are layered up, trimm the edges and cover the whole cake with some icing to lock in all the crumbs and place the cake in the fridge to let it sett for at least half an hour.
- With the rest off the icing divide it into four bowls and mix in some food colouring. I went with blue, green, yellow and pink. Take the cake out off the fridge and start placing the icing onto the cake like shown.
- What’s left to dos: Take a cake scraper and even out the icing. Decorate the top of the cake as you like and your done. Leave the cake in the fridge to chill for about one or two hours and then you can devour the cake with your friends.
Thank you for stopping by and congrats to you to making it to the end of the post. If you liked my post why don’t you leave me a comment or like or even share my blog post. This way I know what you like for future posts. And if your not already following me, hit that subscribe button.
Happy baking and have a lovely day and weekend, xx
This looks amazing!
thank you ☺️